In a world where instant gratification is the norm, fashion retailers who don’t offer same-day delivery are at a disadvantage. A recent study by comScore found that clothing and accessories are among the top categories of items purchased online.
The eCommerce industry isn’t slowing down, and consumer expectations for speed only get higher every year. According to invesp, 22% of global online apparel shoppers would abandon their order if same-day delivery wasn’t an option. That’s a huge number of sales your business misses out on, simply for not offering a modern delivery service.
The advantages of same-day delivery for fashion retailers
There are a ton of advantages to offering faster delivery services to your customers.
For today, let’s focus on the biggest ones.
Here are the top 5 advantages fashion retailers gain from offering same-day delivery:
1. Increased customer satisfaction – When customers can get the clothes they want without having to wait, they’re happy. Happy customers are more likely to come back and buy again.
2. Increased revenue – Same-day delivery options can be a strong motivator to get someone to check out faster. Knowing that their order will arrive quickly makes them more likely to purchase, and more likely to buy again in the future. You also have the opportunity to charge the customer more for same-day deliveries, which adds to your profit margins.
3. More efficient inventory management – Since you’re not limited to customers in your local area, you can sell clothing that’s out of stock in your store. Also, when customers use same-day delivery your inventory is in transit for a much shorter time, this can help you to avoid expensive overnight and weekend fees in a lot of cases.
4. Increased brand awareness – By offering a same-day delivery service, you’re distinguishing your brand as one that’s innovative and cares about its customers.
5. Fewer returns – When customers can get the clothing they ordered quickly and easily, they’re less likely to return it.
How do you launch same-day delivery for the first time?
There are a few different ways you can go about launching a delivery service that offers same-day, but for this article, we are going to focus on the two most popular ways.
Build & Manage
The most common-sense way for many fashion & apparel retailers to launch a delivery service is to do it yourself. Here are the steps to get you started:
- Build or buy software that helps you to track deliveries, place orders, and manage returns. The software might just be the most important part, as it controls and manages everything else.
- Hire new staff, specifically for packing, shipping, and delivering orders wherever you might need them to go.
- Train your current staff on the new processes, so you can develop a long-term strategy for managing the operation over the long term.
Clearly, there’s plenty for you to do, and all of these things could come with their own problems along the way. Let’s look at the pros and cons of launching this way.
- You’re in control. Whether it’s software changes, training, hiring, or management processes. It’s all in your court so make it work the way you want to.
- Ownership. Similarly, if your launch is successful, you get to keep more of the upside since you keep ownership over the whole process.
This might all sound great, but beware, it can be a double-edged sword.
- Launching on your own is a tall order, it requires much more money and a significant amount of time to get started.
- Vehicle maintenance happens every month, when something breaks, slows down, or just needs a tune-up your operation could grind to a halt.
- Hiring and managing a large staff comes with more paperwork, more training, more of everything really. Often the most costly expense for your business is the team.
There are a lot of common issues you might run into, check out the top 10 logistical problems and how to overcome them.
Hire & Outsource
It’s becoming more common every year for businesses to outsource their logistics. Simply put, logistics operations is a huge task and if it isn’t the driving focus of your business, it can be difficult to excel at. In fact, 90% of Fortune 500 businesses are outsourcing their logistics. (elangham)
Here are the steps to get you started:
- Speak with several Third-Party Logistics(3PL) providers. Many 3PLs offer different services, different price points, and have different reputations. Get quotes and testimonials from several, picking the wrong provider could make your launch an uphill battle.
- Set up. Depending on the provider you go with, setup will vary. For example, at Dropoff, we take into account all the specific needs of your business and provide you with the resources you need to make it happen. The software to place, manage and track orders. Vetted uniformed couriers. As well as the use of our fleet of vehicles.
- Track. From this point everything is set up for your deliveries to start going out, now is your chance to track performance and make improvements. After every delivery Dropoff couriers are rated on a scale of 1-5 and regularly undergo performance reviews. You will also receive feedback about the delivery quality of your packages and your order accuracy. These help you to consistently improve your delivery service.
Working with a 3PL takes a lot of the work off of your shoulders, and with the right partner, you know you’re working with experts in the logistics space.
Let’s get into the pros and cons.
- You can start offering same-day delivery almost immediately.
- You have a partner that is an expert in logistics to manage it for you.
- Staff and vehicle costs are entirely outsourced.
- Proven software to help you with quality assurance, order tracking, and customer satisfaction.
For more, check out these 10 advantages of outsourcing logistics.
- Less control over the delivery processes. (not your staff, not your vehicles)
- You don’t own the software.
If you are leaning towards outsourcing, it’s also important to know whether you need a national courier service or not.
Who’s already doing same-day delivery for their fashion brand?
More brands are launching same-day delivery and succeeding with it every day.
Let’s take a look at a few standout brands whose same-day delivery program has been a huge hit.
Abercrombie & Fitch
Abercrombie & Fitch is one of the high-end fashion retailers that offer same-day delivery in major metropolitan areas. They have an express clothing delivery service that will bring you clothes within one day.
Another high-end fashion retailer that offers same-day delivery is Bloomingdales. They have an express clothing delivery service that will bring you clothes within one day. They have a variety of clothing options for both men and women, and they also have a wide range of prices to choose from.
Nordstrom is one of the most popular clothing retailers in the United States. They offer a same-day delivery service in most of their locations. You can order clothing from their website and have it delivered to your doorstep the same day. They have a wide variety of clothing options for both men and women.
Louis Vuitton is one of the most popular luxury clothing retailers in the world. They offer a same-day delivery service in most locations. You can order clothing from their website and have it delivered to your home the same day. Their clothing is known for its high quality and style.
If you’re ready to launch your own same-day delivery service, talk to a logistics expert from our team, and we can help you get started in the right direction.