When it comes to shipping, the two fastest types of service are same-day and next-day.
So, what’s the difference? And more importantly, which one is right for your business?
In this article, we’ll break down everything you need to know about same-day vs next-day delivery. Plus, we’ll give you some examples of businesses that are already using each type of service successfully!
What is same-day delivery?
Same-day delivery is a type of shipping that allows customers to receive their orders on the same day that they are placed. This service is typically only available in major metropolitan areas and is often the most expensive shipping option.
Why is same-day delivery good for business?
There are a lot of reasons your business might want to offer same-day delivery.
Here are just some of the benefits of same-day delivery:
- Increased customer satisfaction: Same-day delivery can help to increase customer satisfaction as it allows them to receive their orders much faster than with other shipping options.
- Reduced shipping costs: Same-day delivery can also help to reduce shipping costs as it eliminates the need for overnight shipping.
- Increased sales: Same-day delivery can also lead to increased sales as customers are more likely to purchase items that they know they will receive quickly. 49% of consumers say that same-day delivery makes them more likely to shop online. (Invesp)
- Increased revenue per order: You can often charge higher fees for same-day delivery which can help you to increase your profit margins. In fact, 61% of consumers say they are willing to pay more for same-day delivery. (Invesp)
The benefits may be clear, but it can be intimidating to start offering same-day delivery both for small brands and for large enterprises.
Some businesses might opt to manage this process entirely on their own, and that may work. The reality is, you need to know when outsourcing is the right choice for your business.
Even if you do decide to outsource the work, it can be equally as challenging to choose the right third-party logistics partner for your needs.
No matter how you choose to tackle same-day delivery, you want to do plenty of research on the common issues involved, and how to overcome them.
What are the best use-cases for same-day delivery?
A few situations where you might benefit from implementing same-day delivery are:
- When you need to get something to your customer quickly, such as a document or product prototype.
- When you want to show your customer that you value their time and business by getting them their purchase ASAP.
- When speedy delivery is part of what your brands’ promise, such as with many flower delivery brands, bakeries, and other gift-based businesses.
Who’s succeeding with same-day delivery?
More businesses than ever are offering same-day delivery to their customers, it’s especially common in the eCommerce industry.
For large-scale businesses like the ones listed below, it’s important to work with national couriers who can manage your delivery process coast to coast.
Some businesses that offer same-day delivery include:
- Amazon: Amazon offers same-day delivery on a variety of items in select metropolitan areas.
- Walmart: Walmart also offers same-day delivery on a variety of items in select metropolitan areas.
- Target: Target offers same-day delivery on a variety of items in select metropolitan areas.
- NowRx: A digital pharmacy that offers same-day medicine delivery for free, or even within the hour for a $5 fee.
Not sure if outsourcing is the right call for your business?
Check out the advantages of outsourcing logistics.
What is next-day delivery?
Next-day delivery is when an item is delivered the day after it is ordered.
This type of delivery is often used for items that are not as time-sensitive as same-day delivery. But, for customers who still want the convenience of speedy delivery, it is generally a more affordable option.
Why is next-day delivery good for business?
Offering next-day delivery can have many benefits for businesses, such as:
- Increased customer satisfaction: Next-day delivery can lead to increased customer satisfaction as they receive their orders faster. 95% of consumers consider next-day delivery to be “fast”. (Conveyco)
- Improved inventory management: Offering next-day delivery can improve inventory management as businesses can better predict when orders will be placed and can plan accordingly.
- Increased revenue per order: Customers are often willing to pay a little extra for the convenience of next-day delivery.
Many of the benefits from same-day delivery carry over into next-day delivery. Since both services offer faster than normal delivery times, and higher costs to the consumer, your business benefits in similar ways.
Not sure how to start offering same-day or next-day delivery for your business? Talk with one of our Dropoff experts, we’ll help you every step of the way.
What are the best use-cases for next-day delivery?
Some of the most common business models that use next-day delivery are eCommerce retailers, food and beverage companies, and pharmaceuticals.
eCommerce: Many eCommerce businesses use next-day delivery to get their products to customers as quickly as possible. This is especially important for items that are needed urgently, such as clothes for a last-minute event or a birthday present.
Food and Beverage: Next-day delivery is also common in the food and beverage industry, as many companies need to get their products to customers quickly and efficiently. This is especially important for items that are perishable, such as dairy products or seafood.
Pharmaceuticals: Pharmaceutical companies often use next-day delivery to ensure that their products are delivered to customers in a timely manner. This is especially important for medications that are time-sensitive, such as those that need to be taken at a certain time of day or those that have a short shelf life.
Who’s succeeding with next-day delivery?
The obvious example is Amazon, but next-day delivery isn’t just for eCommerce companies. In the age of instant gratification, customers expect to receive their purchases quickly – and that includes items they buy in brick-and-mortar stores.
Businesses that are succeeding with next-day delivery are those that are able to meet this customer’s expectation without sacrificing quality or service.
Here are a few examples of businesses winning with next-day delivery:
- A clothing retailer that offers next-day delivery on in-stock items like Macy’s.
- A grocery store that offers next-day delivery for online orders like Aldi’s.
- A furniture store that offers next-day delivery on select items like Big Lots.
While next-day delivery may not be possible for all businesses, it’s important to consider what your customers’ expectations are and whether you’re capable of meeting them. If you can, you’ll be well on your way to success.
Even if you don’t feel capable of implementing next-day delivery, you may be surprised by the capabilities of outsourced logistics teams.
Next-Day Delivery vs Same-Day Delivery
Now that you know the differences between the two, how do you choose which one is right for you, or can you handle both?
Here are some key questions you should ask yourself:
- What is your product?
- What are your delivery areas/radius?
- Does your product need to be shipped quickly?
- How much can you afford to spend on shipping?
- How much does speed matter to your customer?
Answering these questions will help you better understand which type of service will work best for your business.
If you’re not sure if you can afford to offer same-day or next-day delivery to your customers, talk with one of our experts, they can break down everything you should expect, and work with brands from every industry all across the nation.
If you decide to offer same-day delivery, make sure you have a reliable shipping partner who can get your products to your customers on time.